Tuesday, January 03, 2006

New interview with Adrienna “aj” Jenkins

KMA-I heard about your opponent Mystee Blackwood. She seems overmatched
but I give her credit for stepping up against a more experienced
fighter in yourself. Do you know anything about your opponent?
AJ-No, Not really. I don't look into any of that. I am basically told who and when I am fighting; and to get into shape. I was told her record was 6-3; so I think she is the more experienced one. I am hoping for a good fight; I know that we are both training our best for it.
This will be your homecoming fight. It will also be the first female
MMA fight on Kauai and a title fight. Are you excited about all of
this?
I am very excited about the event. This will be the first fight that my mom and family gets to see live. (I usually send her a DVD of my fights when i can get a hold of them.) And its so cool to be apart of a first; expectably a women's fight. Working with Vance Pascua so far has been really helpful- the event is going to be a really good venue to go and watch.

KMA-Some people may say that female fighting is boring, lesser caliber or
more of a spectacle. What is you response to this?
AJ-To each its own. You cant really expect to change people's minds. Example- I recently attended an event in Moline Illinois to corner some of our fighters. Our fighters did great; but in the middle of warming up one; I hear on the mic -" next, we have a women's MMA match!" I thought, awesome! When i went to the ring- it was a different story. Needless to say- It was really disappointing. I didn't want this crowd to think women participating in the sport wear outfits like that and make-out for the crowd cheers. But I cant explain that to the thousand something people who leave the event witnessing that. The girls in that ring that night haven't been through the things i have been through to train to be a fighter. So, What I do is train to the best ability that I can; And when i am asked to fight; I am being asked to to do just that, be a Professional Fighter. After that- Ill let the individuals with opinions think what they want to think.
KMA-As the sport of mixed martial arts continues to grow do you feel
female fighters will begin to pick up more female orientated sponsors?

AJ-I hope so- there are some really talented fighters worth investing in.
If you had a choice who would be your sponsors?
I have a really good clothing sponsor right now- Knockout Hawaii (owned by Kippy Akana) He really supports me as a fighter, and hooks me up with cool clothes. I dont have any financial/Supplement sponsors. I am no where near that caliber yet. lol, so for now- Kippy is awesome.

KMA-Are you presently training other females to fight?
AJ-No- there unfortunately are no women training to fight at Militech presently.
As far as women's self defense what do you think of these women self
defense classes?
They are cool- Most of the instructors understand what they are showing you. And i have heard of situations where women are grateful that they attended a class.
KMA-Have you though of starting a women's self defense class?

AJ-No way- I am so thankful where i have never been in a situation where i have to defend myself in a self-defense manner; and i have no idea how i would react if i did. So, I wouldn't want to influence any of that. I would rather learn from someone who knows what they are doing in that type of scenario.
KMA-After your fighting career is over what are you plans for the future?

AJ-I am in school for Physical Therapy and have a few years left with that; so that will be the financial aspect of things. I see myself always participating in Fighting one way or another. My fiancé's Career and Life revolves around fighting- so, It will be in our lives for a good while.

KMA-Any last words for the Kauai fans?

AJ-Of course! Please support your local fighters; Come and watch the next Kauai Cage match if you can.It sounds like its going to be a fantastic card and a good time. I know hawaii has had its pacthes of problems with MMA- but if you keep supporting the positive aspects of the sport; it can only grow. Thanks to www.kauaimartialarts.com, www.knockouthawaii.com and Vance Pascua with Ainofea. God Bless and Happy new year to everyone too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love a well done female fight anytime and anywere.