Friday, November 18, 2011

BJ Penn on Diaz v. GSP, Retirement- INSIDE MMA Exclusive



Never say never, but don’t expect to see former two-division UFC champion B.J. Penn back in the Octagon any time soon.

Losing in three of his last five fights and drawing in another, Penn isn’t feeling the spark that once twinkled in his eye. After his recent loss to Nick Diaz at UFC 137, the popular Hawaiian said he didn’t want to do this anymore.

“I’ve got a daughter, another daughter on the way, I don’t want to go home looking like this. I’m done.”

Diaz left Penn bloodied and bruised, in a state no other fighter had ever managed.

A week later and Penn may have softened his stance, leaving the door cracked open, but he still doesn’t sound like he’s in a rush to get back in the cage.

“I kinda think this is something that I should have did after the first Frankie Edgar fight. Bunch of my coaches pleaded with me to step away from the sport, take some time off,” Penn told HDNet’s Inside MMA at the recent Pro Elite event in Moline, Ill., where he was supporting his brother, Reagan, for his fight.

“I don’t really like the results I’ve been getting. Take some time off. Take some time away from the sport. If I ever feel it again, I’ll come back,” Penn replied when HDNet’s Michael Schiavello asked if his retirement talk had been a heat of the moment decision.

Evidently, it had not.

“I don’t want to be sitting in the locker room saying, I can’t believe I’m still doing this.”

MMAWEEKLY

No comments: