Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Frankie Edgar Wants Quick Win at UFC Japan


UFC lightweight titleholder Frankie Edgar hasn’t had a quick win since becoming the champion by defeating B.J. Penn at UFC 112 in April of 2010, but he hopes to change that in his UFC: Japan (UFC 144) main event bout with Benson Henderson.

“I’d like it to be a quick fight, but that doesn’t seem how it goes for me,” Edgar said at a press conference promoting the event on Monday.

In his four UFC title fights, Edgar has gone the distance three times.

He defeated Penn twice by unanimous decision. He then came back after nearly being finished in the first round in a rematch with Gray Maynard at UFC 125 on New Year’s Day 2011 to retain the title by salvaging a draw. Edgar retained the belt, but still hadn’t defeated Maynard. Maynard handed the champion the lone loss on his resume back in April of 2008.

The two would go to battle a third time at UFC 136 on Oct. 8. Eerily similar to their UFC 125 bout, Maynard battered Edgar in the first round and was on the verge of winning, but Edgar survived, again, and rallied back to finish his nemesis late in the fourth round by knockout.

“I’m not trying to make a habit of it, taking the punishment I’ve been taking in the last couple of fights,” he said. “It’s like a cat has nine lives and I don’t know how many lives I have to get out of that first round if that happens again.

“Usually my fights are exciting. Past two fights I took some damage and been able to come back, so it makes it exciting for the fans. I know it will be a good one (with Henderson). He’s a good fighter. I’ll do everything I can do in there to win,” added Edgar.

While training and preparing every day to avoid taking punishment and having to comeback in fights after flirting with the fine line that separates whether a referee stops the fight or not, Edgar looks back on his last two fights with a slight grin.

“It does make for exciting TV, and it’s definitely building my legend,” said the lightweight champion. “As long as I come out the victor, I’ll get beat up for four or five rounds. As long as I come out the winner, I’ll do it every time.”

Jeff Cain

No comments: