Friday, December 02, 2011

Interview with Eben Kaneshiro


Interview with Eben Kaneshiro 12/2011



Eben Kanesiro, a Kauai native is one of the island’s and Hawaii’s premiere fighters. He was one of the first Kauai fighters to make the jump to MMA and has fought all over the world. Eben has had some epic match ups with some fighters that went on to fight in the UFC like; Nam Pham, Urijah Faber, Rani Yahya, and Evan Dunham. Eben presently teaches Jiu-Jitsu at New Breed Oregon.

KMA-So Eben, you have been pretty active since I last talked to you. Can you tell us about your school in Oregon and what life is like living there?

Eben- We have lots of families where the parents and kids train. We have a great kids program and competition team. Most of my adult students are 30 and over. So we have a great ego free, family oriented environment to train in.

KMA- You have had some wars with some very good fighters. Out of all your fights who was your toughest opponent and why?

Eben-Its hard to say who my toughest opponent was but I can say that Evan Dunham probably gave me the worst beating. I had to get 13 stitches after that fight. That was the first time in my life that I needed stitches. Super glue wasn't going to fix that one.

KMA- You have always been a highly technical fighter that favors technique and skill over power. How would you compare MMA in America opposed to MMA in Asian countries like Japan, do you have have a preference in fighting in certain countries or organizations?

Eben-I think MMA as a sport has gotten a lot more technical over the years. MMA is still very young and every day fighters are evolving and learning new techniques no matter what country they are from.

I love to travel so any organization that pays me to travel is a plus for me.

KMA- The UFC has added the feather weight and bantam weight divisions. Would you be interested in fighting in the UFC and if so what weight would be suit you?

Eben-I'm definitely interested in fighting for the UFC. 145 would be the ideal weight class for me but I could drop to 135 or even move up to 155 if I got the opportunity.

KMA-Have you ever thought about going on the Ultimate Fighter reality show? If so what would you bring to the table?

Eben-I've actually tried out for the show a few times. I've made it through the try outs and to the interviews twice. But both times I wasn't picked for whatever reason. I guess I need to act like a douche to get their attention.

KMA- What are some other goals that you have in martial arts?

Eben-I dont really have many goals. I just love the competition. I guess my main goal is to stay healthy and keep competing as long as I can. Another goal would be to pass on the knowledge that has been passed down to me to my students and see them be successful.

KMA- I have been training off and on for many years and I have noticed a lot of changes in grappling. For me the game has evolved and people seem to be more well rounded. What are your feelings on Hawaii’s grappling evolution?

KMA- What are your predictions on the future of grappling and MMA in Hawaii?

Eben- Just like MMA, grappling has definitely evolved a lot. Hawaii has always been known for producing top level grapplers and fighters and nothing has changed. There are more grapplers and fighters in Hawaii now then there ever was and the sport will only keep getting bigger and better.

KMA- You have a lot of fans world wide but you never forgot your roots here on Kauai. What advice do you have for young men looking to follow in your foot steps being either a MMA fighter, a Jiu-Jitsu black belt/instructor/competitor?

Eben-Stick with it and train hard. Dont be afraid to take a chance, try something new, step outside the box. If you put in the time good things will come.

KMA- Any last words for the fans on Kauai and world wide?

Eben- I'd like to thank my family, friends and fans for all the love and support. If it were not for all of you I would not be able to do what I love. Aloha.

No comments: