Saturday, May 23, 2009

AINA COMMENTS ON CONTROVERSIAL STOPPAGE


8764-MikeAina_GHonda.jpg

MMAWeekly.com caught up with Mike Aina on Thursday afternoon to get his thoughts on the controversial stoppage of his fight with Billy Evangelista at Strikeforce Challenger Series last Friday. Aina spoke from Hawaii, where he’s back at his job on the summit of Mauna Kea as a welder/fabricator for the W.M. Keck Observatory.

Aina says he went to the emergency room following the bout and was released at 2 a.m. the next day, after which he and his wife drove to San Francisco to fly back to Hawaii.

MMAWeekly: Can you explain your side of the story in terms of what happened with the fight and its aftermath?

Aina: I really don’t remember much of what happened. I kind of blacked out for a little bit. When I got up—I remember I was lying on the mat—I had a shooting pain going up into my ear through my jaw. It was really painful. I was lost in the moment, so I’m not really sure what went down. I didn’t even see the video on it yet. I just feel bad for him and for me. It’s not the way we wanted it to end. It’s just disappointing.

MMAWeekly: Has a doctor checked your jaw since the fight and if so what’s the prognosis?

Aina: I just went to the ER after the fight. The doctor said (my jaw) probably popped out. I did an MRI, so nothing’s cracked, nothing’s fractured, which is good news. But it’s just dealing with pain right now, taking painkillers and trying to get through. I should be okay though.

MMAWeekly: The picture of the fight’s end shows the knee going under your armpit. Do you remember anything about the fight’s ending?

Aina: I was getting up. I knew I was going to have to take some shots in order to get back to my feet, which I didn’t mind. And as soon as I get my hips out, then he backed off, and I was like, the smart thing to do right now is to leave my knee on the mat and my hand on the mat and wait till he punches again. As soon he punches, eat that shot, get back on the feet, and then we can get the game back to stand-up. I remember he was clinching my head and started to load up on the knee and obviously, in the pictures, I tried to duck my head. But I really got rocked; I really don’t remember much of what happened after that. The next thing I remember was I was lying on the mat, that weird shooting pain going up into my ear.

MMAWeekly: Have you talked to Strikeforce about the incident?

Aina: No one’s actually contacted me. It would be nice, but I’m not sure they have any issue or concern with how I’m doing. Obviously, we both want a rematch. It was a good fight going into that second round. I’d like to do it again. I’m sure he feels unfulfilled as well, and so do I, but I’m not sure where we stand right now.

MMAWeekly: Do you feel referee Herb Dean made the right call?

Aina: I’ve gotta watch the video. I haven’t even gotten a chance to watch the video. But there’s nothing we can do about it now. I’m just really, really disappointed about the whole thing.

MMAWeekly: When do you anticipate going back to the gym?

Aina: I want to go back soon. I can’t really do too much right now, but obviously I want to stay in shape, get some cardio in, and once I feel better, I’m hoping they’ll set up a rematch.

MMAweekly

No comments: