Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Kaleo Kwan - Making an impact and a name for himself: StrikeForce

Story by: Eddie King - MMA Hawaii Staff Writer


Kaleo Kwan - StrikeforceHawaii has an MMA following like no other place in the world. There are so many passionate fighters that take part in the growth of and progress of MMA. One of these fighters that has made an impact is a man named Kaleo Kwan. Many locals have seen this tenacious fighter for years. He has had his hand in many styles which molded him into the well rounded fighter he is today. Kaleo has put in some serious time with boxing and Kickboxing. Since his plunge into MMA Kaleo has been working on an arsenal of tricks on the ground with wrestling and Jiu-Jitsu. With notable fights against many of Hawaii’s most well known fighters, Kaleo feels as if he has only grown as a fighter. “ For me, I feel the need to go out there and put on an exciting show. Not only do I fight as hard as I can, but I make it exciting for the fans.” said Kwan, “ I want to my name to be included when people talk about MMA in Hawaii along with all the other great names.”

Kaleo is well on his way to becoming one of those names with his upcoming fight on the Strikeforce Challenger series. Kaleo will be fighting on the same card as Mike Aina. When asked what his thoughts were on fighting for Strikeforce, Kaleo said, “ I am really excited to be fighting for Strikeforce. I feel better than ever for this fight. I have had some experience with EliteXC but still always felt like it was work in progress. This time there is still progress to be made but I feel like I am coming into this fight as progress in motion.”

Coming into MMA a little later than some, Kaleo has had a rough road. He has made a name for himself in the sport by taking on challenging opponents. He has went the distance with Shane Nelson and battled it out with Mike Aina. He has fought UFC vets and world champs. Kaleo once stood toe to toe with 5 time Kickboxing champion Malaipet. There has been no tomato can fight for Mr. Kwan. Feeling like he has made the best of his down time, Kwan has been training in all aspects of the fight game and feels as if he is coming into his fight against Ousmane Thomas Diagne. Diagne is known for the fighting style that Cung Le uses. On Diagne, Kaleo said “ I have been where he is. I have been the Kickboxer coming into MMA. He is dangerous on the feet so I have been working on all of my game and cannot wait to unveil it.”

After all that has happened in his career, Kaleo keeps his spirit strong and keeps learning everyday. “It makes it easy when you have the support of the local people” said Kwan, “ and every time I fight on the mainland I feel the support of all the people of Hawaii. Locals support locals.” With the support of an entire state, Kaleo seems to have his mind set on getting a win. “ I never train to lose. I go in and do my best to get the win.”

With Kaleo living the lifestyle he does, it is only natural that he is a fan favorite. He is the father of six children and a devoted husband. He has said that without the support of his wife he would not have accomplished anything. Kwan said, “ It all comes back to the family. They are the first thing I see when I wake up and the last before I go to bed. They are the reason I do what I do and the reason I have made it to the heights I have.” You will rarely see Kaleo Kwan without a smile on his face. He trains with the legendary Eastsidaz and the Onzuka’s at the O2. Kaleo has also helped train local sensation Nainoa Dung. It is apparent that family, friends, and the community come first in the eyes of Kaleo, and this may be the reason why he is so popular around the islands.

After putting in all of this time and effort, one is left to wonder what will come of Kaleo Kwan after this fight.“ I am thrilled to be fighting for Strikeforce and hopefully I will prove myself. My dream is to make it to Japan and become an international name. I feel like I have paid my dues. I feel like I am ready for the big shows, for the tough fights. I do not like to call out other fighters, so I am always ready to fight anyone. I would love to represent Hawaii in any place in the world, against any fighter in the world.” When he speaks of his goals it is hard not to respect his dedication and drive. With everything he has done and everything he plans on, it is imperative that Hawaii is in his corner. “ With Hawaii in my corner there is no way I can lose” said Kaleo, “ Hawaii is my family, and family is the most important thing.”

As he departs for California, Kaleo will have a lot to think about with his fight. He has to think of his mistakes in past fights, his triumphs that helped mold him, all of the hard work that his training partners and coaches have put in . He must think of his future plans and the task at hand, but he will never have to worry about who is supporting him. Kaleo always knows that his family and friends are supporting him along side Hawaii. That is all the support he needs.

Special Thanks from Kaleo Kwan to : MMA Hawaii, Koa Ramos, Bryson Kamaka, Brandon Piper, The Onzuka’s at the O2, Al and Justin for sparring, Uncle Eddie and Da Hui, The crew from Fitted, Defend Hawaii, Phiten, Brit’s Auto Body and Paint, Kwan Ceramic Tile, Fubar, MMA Hawaii, Leif and the crew at OTM, Andy from HFG

No comments: